Saturday, September 17, 2011

Like the Backstreet Boys, I'm back and better than ever!

I have lots of excuses.  Would you like to hear them?
1) I've had a pretty bad cold for a couple weeks now.
2) My knee cap has been popping in and out of place.  Two weeks ago at the gym it dislocated for a number of seconds and I fell to the ground.  My knee was super sore for a couple days.
3) School is keeping me busy--tons of homework and not enough time.
4) Kevin was out of town last weekend and I was a single parent for four days.
5) Bad news about the unexpected death of a friend.
6) Despite my commitment to working out and eating right, the weight on the scale continued to creep up day-after-day.

About two weeks ago, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself.  I was sick, tired and sad.  Although I'd been following "the plan," I had gained four pounds.  Remember the 10 pounds of baby weight I was trying to lose?  It was now 12.  I don't know enough about weight training to know if this is expected, so I was concerned.  I found comfort in Pretzel M&Ms.  Obviously, in retrospect, this was not the best way to handle what was happening, but I don't always handle stress well.

After a couple days of Pretzel M&Ms, I realized I had a problem when I moved onto the bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms.  Higher if fat and calories, the Peanut Butter M&Ms were my rock bottom.  Halfway through the bag, I knew that I needed to get back on the wagon.  The best part of living with eight teenage boys is their ability to make junk food disappear.  I put the Peanut Butter M&Ms in a dish on the table after school and they were devoured within minutes.

I also decided to seek some help...from a personal trainer at the gym.   I have to be able to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time.  They do it all the time on the Biggest Loser!  Stacy, at Prairie Life, was more than willing to help me reach my goals.  I'm going to meet with her and take her group weightlifting class for the next couple months.  I feel better about our plan and I'm looking forward to learning a lot over the next eight weeks.

Oh, and of course, all that concern was for nothing.  The four pounds I thought I'd gained mysteriously disappeared the next week.  Tobias' birthday is in just three weeks and I'm still eight pounds away from my goal.  It's not going to happen, but I think I'm on the right path.  We all have excuses, but I'm tired of using them.  Are YOU ready to buck up? 

No comments:

Post a Comment