Monday, February 6, 2012

How did I get here...again?

I recently read (in a very reliable tabloid) that celebrities are finally admitting how much work they have to do to stay in shape.  One actress said that she hates running and would never do it again if she had the choice.  For years, many celebrities have made it seem like doing yoga and taking the dogs for a walk were all they needed to do to stay a size 2.  It turns out that most of them spend a few hours, six days a week, working out.  Shocking?  Not really.  We already knew it, but it is refreshing to hear them admit it.

Two and a half months ago, I was doing great.  I'd finally gotten into a workout rhythm.  Weights 2x week and cardio 2x week.  I felt stronger and my pants were looser.  After a number of weeks of gaining weight or plateauing (I think due to building muscle), I finally started to lose weight.  Most importantly, my eating habits were great.  All-in-all, I was feeling good as I rounded the corner to Thanksgiving.  I was feeling so good, in fact, that I didn't think a few minor (haha) changes would set me back.

On Thanksgiving day, we moved across the country and into my parents' basement.  The next week, my husband and I each started new jobs and Tobias started in a new school.  I was no longer a stay-at-home mom with Adelaide.  A few weeks later, we bought a new house and moved our stuff, once again, on New Year's Eve.  Oh, did I mention that I also had two grad school classes to finish up in December?  Two 20-page papers later, I was done.

What happened may not shock you at all, but I was a little surprised.  My workout routine and eating success completely unraveled.  Two months later, I have almost nothing to show for my hard work this fall.  I keep stepping on the scale to see how much weight I've gained, but the numbers have barely changed.  This seems almost worse than gaining weight because I know that I'm just turning all of my muscle into fat.  My muscle...that took months to build...reduced to fat.  It is so disappointing.

I've also rediscovered junk food that has been taboo in my life for years.  Cake, cookies, candy--I've indulged in them all!  The other day I found myself finishing off a bag of Chips Ahoy cookies.  They aren't even GOOD chocolate chip cookies!  What was I thinking?

This evening, I started to wallow in a little bit of self-pity.  I am not this person.  I am not the person that eats a bag of crappy cookies and sits on the couch.  I'm an athlete.  I eat healthy food that gives me energy and strength.  I have strong willpower and determination.  I started searching for triathlons to do this summer and I strengthened my resolve.

Tonight, I resisted the M&Ms and grabbed an apple as I watched "The Biggest Loser."  Tomorrow morning, I'm heading to the gym.  My first triathlon is just four months away and I'm determined to be ready.  It took just eight weeks to get back out-of-shape, but the return will take longer.  Perhaps this will be the time that it sticks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment